Fri | Sep 25, 2020

I did not see anyone - main witness in X6 trial

Published:Thursday | October 20, 2016 | 12:00 AMLivern Barrett

The main prosecution witness in the so-called X6 murder trial yesterday recounted the moment 17-year-old Khajeel Mais was shot inside his vehicle but admitted he did not see who fired the bullets.

Wayne Wright, the driver of the taxi in which Mais was travelling, testified in the Home Circuit Court that after the first shot was fired into his Toyota Succeed motor car, "me duck me head under me steering and drive go straight a Constant Spring Police Station with the guy [Mais]".

"Me hear 'bow' (sound of gunshot), and the yute fly over pan me," Wright recalled as lead prosecutor Jeremy Taylor led him through his evidence.

"When you heard the gunshots, did you see anyone?" Taylor asked.

"I didn't see anyone on the road at the time. I was operating a vehicle, sir," he replied, noting that rain and light fog in the Havendale area at the time made visibility poor.

Businessman Patrick Powell is on trial for murder and shooting with intent in connection with Mais' death on July 1, 2011, in Havendale, St Andrew.

Prosecutors say the teenage Kingston College student was travelling in a taxi that collided with a BMW X6 luxury vehicle. They further allege that the driver of the X6 came out of the vehicle and fired several bullets into the taxi.

"They were new. They were the rave then ... the it, in luxury vehicles," Taylor said in his opening arguments, making reference to the BMW X6.

"Someone was angry because of what happened on the road, what happened to their vehicle. The allegation is that Mr Powell was this person who was angry and took that anger to the extreme," he continued.




In recounting what happened on the night of July 1, 2011, Wright, who acknowledged that he is widely known as 'Youngie', said he was at a gas station on Mannings Hill Road when a man he knows only as 'Shut' told him Mais wanted a taxi.

The taxi operator said he did not see Mais carrying anything as he entered the vehicle and asked to be taken to Chevy Chase Place, also in Havendale.

He said he got to Highland Drive and was driving very "easy" when Mais said to him, 'Drive up fast, nuh, Rastaman'. Wright said he started driving faster, although the place was "foggy".

"It was like it was snowing," he said at one point.

Asked to explain, the taxi operator said: "It look like smoke coming down ... I could not see anything at all."

Within a minute, Wright said his car collided with a vehicle that suddenly appeared in front of him.

"I hit a vehicle. I don't know if it was parked or if it was driving," he said.

"I hit a black vehicle. It must be a big, black vehicle - a SUV or a X5, or something. This was on Highland Drive, sir," he said in response to a question from Taylor.

Wright testified that he started reversing his taxi and had got about 20 feet from the spot of the collision but never got a chance to park his motor car.

"I was about to put it [vehicle] into 'P' [park] and then the gunshots start firing," he testified.

The taxi operator demonstrated how he placed his head under the dashboard as he drove the vehicle on to the sidewalk, turned on to Avon Avenue, and headed for the Constant Spring Police Station.

"I was going into a wall and His Majesty seh, 'Look up now', and then I turned on to Avon Avenue," he said to laughter in the packed courtroom.

Wright will continue giving evidence today.