Popular Falmouth restaurant gutted by flames
The popular 45-year-old Hosang Restaurant and a nearby building on Market Street in Falmouth, Trelawny, were gutted by fire yesterday morning.
Persons nearby said that, around 5 a.m., they heard explosions just before the start of the fire.
The nearby fire brigade was quick on the scene, but the old Georgian pine and shingles forming the building were catalysts for the blaze.
The restaurant building also housed a cellular phone repair establishment. All the phones and equipment were destroyed.
Restaurant operators Christopher and Brandis Hosang, who inherited the building and restaurant from their parents, were distraught.
"I closed the restaurant around 2:30 and went to remove my car, but fell asleep in it. It was the screaming that I heard ... then I discovered that the building was on fire," said a teary-eyed Christopher.
He said the restaurant employed five persons and would be back in operation shortly.
The buildings were part of the picturesque Market Street Georgian architecture that is a hallmark of the town.
- Richard Morais