Sat | Aug 19, 2017

US to 'engage' gov't in search for escaped murder suspect

Published:Thursday | January 5, 2017 | 1:00 AM
Dwight Henry escaped police custody while at the Port Maria Hospital for medical treatment

A SENIOR official at the United States Embassy has signalled that they will be "engaging" with the Andrew Holness administration to ensure that the man charged with killing two American missionaries in St Mary last year has his day in court.

That disclosure by Joshua Polacheck, counsellor for public affairs at the US Embassy, came after The Gleaner first reported yesterday that the suspect, Dwight Henry, escaped police custody after he was taken to the Port Maria Hospital in St Mary for treatment.

"It's horrible," Polacheck told The Gleaner last night. "We hope he is returned to custody swiftly and sees his day in court," he added.

Deputy Superintendent Dwight Powell, who heads the St Mary police, confirmed that Henry was taken from the Orocabessa police lock-up to the Port Maria Hospital for treatment after he complained of feeling ill. However, up to late yesterday, Powell said that he did not have all the details of how Henry managed to elude his police escorts. In keeping with standard procedure, the Inspectorate of the Constabulary (IOC), the quality-control arm of the Jamaica Constabulary Force, has commenced a probe into the incident.

Head of the IOC Assistant Commissioner Wray Palmer told The Gleaner that a team has been dispatched to St Mary to begin investigations.

Henry is one of two men charged with the gruesome killing of American Christian missionaries Harold Nichols and Randy Hentzel days apart in Albion Mountain, St Mary, last April. He, along with AndrÈ Thomas, has been charged with murder and illegal possession of firearm.