Tue | Jul 17, 2018

Security officer shot dead - Cop battling for life, suspect in custody

Published:Monday | January 30, 2017 | 12:00 AMJason Cross

Violent drama unfolded on Saturday night, leaving a security officer dead, a police officer battling for life in hospital, and a wounded suspect in custody.

According to police reports, around 10:40 p.m., 39-year-old security officer Asfidel Harrison was operating his motor vehicle as a taxi in the downtown Kingston area when a man posing as a passenger entered the vehicle.

Not far along the journey, the man allegedly pulled a firearm, demanding that the driver stop before attempting to rob him.

The taxi driver, who is a licensed firearm holder, defended himself.

An exchange of gunfire resulted in both men being shot and injured.

A 16-year-old bystander was also hit.

The distressed security officer phoned the police while attempting to drive himself to the hospital. On arriving at the scene, a black BMW motor car was spotted. The officers suspected that the BMW motor car was involved in the robbery, as the men in that vehicle attempted to leave the scene with their injured crony.

However, the police managed to arrest the injured man, and the driver of the BMW sped away.

The security officer died at hospital, and the robber was also taken there for treatment.

A 9mm pistol with eight rounds of ammunition was recovered.

Another group of police personnel, acting on information, intercepted the vehicle carrying the men, in the Tower Avenue area of St Andrew.

The men got out of the vehicle and opened fire at the police.

Detective Sergeant Dale Thompson was shot in the head during an exchange of gunfire between the men and the police.

The occupants of the BMW abandoned the vehicle before making their escape on foot.

Thompson was rushed to hospital by colleagues and admitted in serious condition.

Detective Sergeant Dale Thompson is likely to require blood donations and, therefore, persons are being asked to go to the Blood Bank or any other receiving facility to give blood in his name.

Thompson's colleagues are all hoping that he will have a speedy recovery.

"His condition is considered serious, but we trust that the doctors will be able to do a good job and we pray for the speedy recovery of our colleague," head of the Corporate Communications Unit, Superintendent Stephanie Lindsay, told The Gleaner yesterday.