Fri | Jun 5, 2020

Shots fired during abduction attempt at St Andrew Prep

Published:Wednesday | April 5, 2017 | 12:00 AMLivern Barrett

The gunman who attempted to abduct a female parent on the compound of the St Andrew Preparatory School in Half-Way Tree yesterday, triggering a terrifying shooting incident, had been dismissed from his job by the woman, police investigators have revealed.

Investigators believe that up to two months ago, the suspected gunman, whose name has not been released, worked as a pump attendant at a service station in the Corporate Area before his intended victim, who manages the station, terminated his services.

The gunman managed to escape a security dragnet that also disrupted classes at the Holy Childhood High School and remained on the run up to late yesterday.

Eyewitnesses report that the drama began shortly after 8 o'clock when the woman arrived at the school to drop off her daughter.




According to one eyewitness, the gunman, who had been standing outside the institution for some time, forced his way into her sport utility vehicle and ordered her to drive.

She reportedly refused and crashed the vehicle into the back of a car parked on the school compound before making her escape.

It was at this stage, the eyewitness said, that the gunman was challenged by a licensed firearm holder, who watched the drama unfold.

Investigators at the scene told The Gleaner that several shots were fired.

Principal of St Andrew Preparatory, Janet Walsh Davis, said that the shooting happened about 12 feet from a group of students leaving the morning devotional exercise.

Walsh Davis said that the students were ushered into a classroom and hid under desks until the shooting ended. She revealed that some students received counselling yesterday and indicated that those sessions would continue today.

Classes were dismissed early and during a visit to the school yesterday, a number of parents were seen picking up their children. They directed our queries to school administrators.