Mon | Mar 30, 2020

Accused in Shineka Gray murder still without a lawyer

Published:Saturday | April 8, 2017 | 12:00 AMChristopher Thomas
Shineka Gray
In this file photo these two students at Green Pond High School in Montego Bay, St James, comfort each other as news broke that the body of their missing schoolmate, 15-year-old Shineka Gray, was found in bushes.


Gregory Roberts and Mario Morrison, the two men accused of murdering 15-year-old Green Pond High School student Shineka Gray, were again remanded in police custody when Roberts turned up in court without a lawyer.

When the men appeared in the St James Parish Court, clerk of the court Reginald England told presiding judge Sandria Wong-Small that a lawyer had not yet been assigned to represent Roberts, although contact had been made with the Legal Aid Clinic prior to the defendants' last court appearance on March 15.

"The Legal Aid Clinic was in fact contacted, but as to who was assigned to represent Mr Roberts, I have no instructions," England told the court. "The representative from the Legal Aid Clinic had interviewed him...perhaps he could be offered some assistance."

Upon hearing England's explanation, the judge asked that fresh contact be made with the Legal Aid Clinic so the matter of representation for Roberts could be sorted out.

The court was also told that a number of documents, including the post-mortem report and the Communication Forensic and Cyber-Crime Unit report, were still outstanding from the prosecution's case-file and would not be ready for another six weeks.

Unlike Roberts, Morrison's legal situation has been settled, as he is being represented by attorney Martyn Thomas. Prior to setting the next court date for May 17, the judge expressed a desire to see the matter of Roberts' legal representation settled and the case-file completed and ready for that sitting of the court.

Gray, a resident of Mt Salem, in Montego Bay, was found with multiple stab wounds in bushes in the Irwin community, also in St James, on February 1, three days after she went missing. She attended the funeral of a former schoolmate, but never returned home.

Following intensive investigations by the St James police, Roberts and Morrison were taken into custody and questioned. They were subsequently arrested and charged with the murder.