Thu | Aug 17, 2017

Sentencing for alleged extortionist put off to next week, sixth man intercepted

Published:Saturday | April 22, 2017 | 4:00 AMTamara Bailey

Mandeville, Manchester:

Careba Salmon, the 24-year-old charged in connection with the extortion ring targeting businesses in the central region, will have to wait until next Thursday to hear her fate.

Salmon, who appeared before the Manchester Parish court yesterday morning dressed in full white, along with her supporters, appeared very calm as her lawyer, Joel Nelson, presented on her behalf.

Nelson expressed that his client was deserving of leniency as she was not responsible for conceiving or distributing the extortion letters.

He stated that she was approached, based on her proficiency in the English language, to edit letters. She was also asked to purchase items, including a printer, ink and pins.

 

RECEIVED FORGIVENESS

 

He said that when she made enquiries as to the use of these items, having already divulged some personal information, she was given an ultimatum to continue giving her assistance or be killed.

Salmon, who is the mother of a five-year-old, is said to have received the forgiveness of some members of the business community based on her character references.

It was also revealed that through her cooperation with the police, the sixth person wanted in the matter had been intercepted.

According to Superintendent Wayne Cameron, a man by the name of Kendrick White, who is incarcerated at a maximum-security facility in the Corporate Area, is expected to be placed before the court on Wednesday to answer to charges of extortion and conspiracy to extort. This is expected to assist Judge Desiree Alleyene in making her final decision about Salmon's sentencing on Thursday.

According to Cameron, White is believed to be the head of this extortion ring and is responsible for making a number of calls to the businesses.

The police also believe, based on social media messages, that White has some relationship with Salmon.

... Additional charges for co-accused

Accused extortionist Sheila Smith, 64, of a Free Town, Clarendon, address, will have additional charges brought against her as she was found in possession of fraudulent documents when she was arrested, revealed Superintendent Wayne Cameron.

Smith, along with co-accused Beko March, 21, also of Free Town, and Keeno Powell, 21, of Top Hill, Manchester, were remanded and are to return to court on May 3.

Sandre Bogle of a Top Albion address in Manchester was granted bail in the sum of $200,000 when he appeared in court on April 19.