Sun | Jan 21, 2018

Grief engulfs Washington Court - Residents still in shock following death of two sisters last week

Published:Sunday | May 14, 2017 | 12:00 AMCorey Robinson
The entrance to the Washington Court Apartments in St Andrew where two sisters lived before their sudden death last Saturday.
Five-year-old Rosrick Deviana King and four-year-old Rosricka Devrickaye King.

It has been just over a week since Noel Broadie was hit with the heartbreaking news of the death of two sisters who were found bleeding at their house in Washington Court Apartments, where they had been left with their 15-year-old brother.

For years, Broadie has manned the main gate of the apartment complex on Gilmour Drive off Washington Boulevard in St Andrew, and he is still struggling to come to terms with the fact that he will never again see their smiling faces as they wave goodbye.

"I miss the two little girls them so much. I loved them like me little daughter. Sweet little angel dem. Me really can't believe me will never see them again," said Brodie, who has manned the entrance to the gated community for some 15 years.




Five-year-old Rosrick Devianna King and her four-year-old sister Rosricka Devrickaye King were pronounced dead at hospital last Saturday after being rushed there by an aunt who responded to reports that they were found bleeding by their brother.

Broadie was not at the gate to the complex on the day as he was at a relative's funeral in Trelawny, only to get the painful news.

"They would always call out to me when they are going to school in the mornings and I would say 'all right, unnuh behave unnuh self you hear', and they were always laughing.

"The mother carry them to school in the morning and the son stay with them in the evening until him mother come from work. I never see them have any problems up there," said Broadie.

"All I know is that this strange. People have them different assertions, but whatever happened, I feel it for the little girl dem," added Broadie.

Last Friday, when our news team visited the gated apartment complex, the gentle breeze disturbing the palm trees, was the only thing to break the silence as the complex seemed almost despondent over the lost lives.




According to Broadie, residents of the community, especially those of 'Building A' where the girls lived, are reeling from the heart-wrenching incident.

Police investigators are still trying to piece together the sequence of events which led to the death of the two sisters, and last Friday, Assistant Police Commissioner Ealan Powell told The Sunday Gleaner that the detectives were awaiting the results of the post-mortem to determine their next steps.

Powell said the post-mortem was done yesterday morning but up to press time there were no reports on the findings.

"All decisions will depend on the post-mortem," said Powell.

He told our news team that there were no signs of forced entry to the apartment, adding weight to speculation that the girls may have been killed by someone they knew.