JPS investigating electrocution of Negril men
The Jamaica Public Service Company Limited (JPS) says it has started an investigation into the electrocution of two men who came in contact with an electrical wire in Negril, Westmoreland on Tuesday.
An energised utility wire fell on 21-year-old Oshane Powell and his cousin Renaldo Johnson while they were travelling on a motorcycle in the Westland Mountain community.
The deaths have triggered protests by residents who say before the incident, they had reported to the JPS that the wire was unsafe.
The JPS has said it regrets the unfortunate loss of lives and expressed condolences to the families.
The company also said it’s now working with members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force to bring calm to Westland Mountain and access to the community.
The JPS said as soon as access is available, its teams will restore electricity and continue the investigation into the matter.
The company also said it remains committed to safety at the highest standards in delivering supply to all customers.