Wed | Oct 16, 2019

Tears, blood, broken bones as 29 injured in St Thomas crash

Published:Tuesday | January 16, 2018 | 12:00 AM
The extensive damage to the Toyota Coaster bus that collided with a Mazda motorcar on the St Thomas main road near Grants Pen yesterday morning, leaving 29 persons injured.
The badly damaged Mazda motor car.
One of the 29 persons injured in the major road crash on the St Thomas main road near Grants Pen in the parish.
This injured woman could not hold back the tears.


Broken bones and streams of blood will be, for some time, etched in the minds of 29 people who were yesterday rushed to the Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department of Princess Margaret Hospital in St Thomas after the bus in which they were travelling collided with a motor vehicle.

According to reports, about 11 o'clock yesterday morning, the Toyota Coaster bus was transporting passengers from Morant Bay to Kingston when, upon reaching a section of the Grants Pen main road, a Mazda motor car travelling in an easterly direction collided with it.

Among those injured was Alfred Clarke, the conductor of the passenger bus that was involved in the crash.

Clarke admitted that he didn't see what happened, as he was asleep.

"Mi did just nod away when mi feel the hit. When mi open mi eyes, I find myself pon mi back inna the bus and people a bawl a sey a car run inna the bus," he said.

Of the injuries sustained, Clarke complained of pain in his chest and feet, as the rolled-up legs of his uniform pants revealed bruises and raw wounds to his right foot.




In the A&E department at the hospital, persons could be seen with teary faces in blood-stained clothes and neck braces, as a few were transferred to another department on the compound to be X-rayed.

Of utmost concern, though, was the driver of the bus, Phillip McDonald, whose family members and colleagues had gathered at the hospital, some more distressed than others.

"A just Dada (McDonald) mi worry about because dem did affi dig him out. The whole a him bone and flesh a push out inna him foot," exclaimed one man, who said he had helped to load the bus earlier in the morning.

Son of the driver, Michael, who was calmer than the others, told The Gleaner that though the incident is unfortunate, he remains grateful because it could have been worse.

"I'm grateful that he is alive. From he is talking I know there's hope so we just putting our trust in the doctor's hands," he said.

I kinda feel sad knowing that today is his birthday, but accidents happen. I'm just happy he's alive."

A female driver, who was sitting in the front of the bus, is also said to be in serious condition.

Reports are that the driver of the motor car was taken to Kingston Public Hospital. His condition is unknown.