General Post Office to close for repairs
The General Post Office (GPO) in downtown Kingston, across from the Supreme Court, will be closed to the public for six months, starting next Monday, to facilitate renovation work by the Ministry of Justice.
The renovations will include improvements to the building that houses the GPO in keeping with plans for the creation of Justice Square. This will affect postal operations and cause disruption in service to the public, including pensioners, PATH beneficiaries, and other people who usually conduct business with the Post and Telecommunications Department at this location.
The postmaster general has advised of the following arrangements for persons affected by the temporary closure:
- Pensioners may encash their pension cheques at any of the following locations:
- Any branch of the National Commercial Bank (NCB)
- Denham Town Post Office
- Half-Way Tree Post Office
- Central Sorting Office, 6-10 South Camp Road
- PATH beneficiaries who would usually receive their payment at the GPO should now collect their payment at the Central Sorting Office (CSO).
- Registered mail: GPO customers should collect their mail at the CSO, while Hagley Park Post Office (Kingston 11) customers should collect their registered mail at the Half-Way Tree Post Office.
- Private letter boxes: Customers will, until further notice, still be able to access their private letter boxes at the GPO located at the intersection of King and Barry streets.
The Post and Telecommunications Department has asked for the public's understanding and patience since the closure is in keeping with efforts to improve the facility for customers and staff, alike.
For more information, call customer service at 1-888-526-7678; 922-5055; 404-0584, or visit facebook.com/JamaicaPost or visit www.jamaicapost.gov.jm.