Sun | Jul 22, 2018

ECJ mum on Fisher's departure

Published:Friday | March 23, 2018 | 12:00 AMJodi-Ann Gilpin/Gleaner Writer
Dorothy Pine-McLarty

Dorothy Pine-McLarty, chairman of the Electoral Commission of Jamaica (ECJ), says that she will not be making any public pronouncements on the resignation of former director of elections Orrette Fisher.

Her utterances followed Fisher's recent resignation ahead of a court ruling he initiated contesting his tenure. In a press statement yesterday, Pine-McLarty indicated that due attention was being paid to the issue and a statement may be issued at the appropriate time.

"In the matter of the director of elections' resignation and ongoing court proceedings, I wish to remind members of the media and, in fact, all concerned that when a matter is under judicial consideration, or sub judice, it is prohibited from public discussion elsewhere," she said.

"The Electoral Commission of Jamaica is currently a defendant in a matter before the Supreme Court of Jamaica. It is, therefore, not appropriate for a member of the ECJ to make any public pronouncements about the case and related issues," Pine-McLarty noted.

In his resignation letter a few weeks ago, Fisher disclosed that the past two years had been particularly challenging.

He pointed to a growing level of political influence which he said had severely affected the role of the EOJ.

The former director has since said that he feels betrayed after Professor Alvin Wint, one of the commissioners, said that he saw no evidence of political interference at the EOJ.