UWI at 70 | Meet guest editor Professor Sir Hilary Beckles
On September 3, The Gleaner partners with The University of the West Indies for a special guest editors' edition. It's part of our recognition of the 70th anniversary of the University of the West Indies. The institution, with its main campuses in Jamaica, Barbados, and Trinidad and Tobago has helped to shape significant elements of Caribbean history. Vice-Chancellor Professor Sir Hilary Beckles will lead a team of five people who will sit in the editor's office for this special issue.
Here are five things you should know about him:
1. Before assuming the office of vice-chancellor on May 1, 2015, he served the university as professor of economic history, pro vice-chancellor for undergraduate studies and principal of its Cave Hill Campus in Barbados for 13 years.
2. Sir Hilary is an accomplished playwright with six of his staged works receiving popular acclaim in the Caribbean.
3. As vice-chancellor, Sir Hilary conceptualised and championed The UWI Triple A Strategy, which seeks to revitalise Caribbean Development through Access. Alignment and Agility.
4. Sir Hilary is a cricket enthusiast still batting for the longest version of the game
5. As a youngster, Sir Hilary was sent to England to complete secondary school and later tertiary studies.