Sat | Oct 20, 2018

Expelled Calabar students still in limbo

Published:Saturday | September 8, 2018 | 12:00 AMJodi-Ann Gilpin/Gleaner Writer
Calabar High School on Red Hills Road, St Andrew.

Students of Calabar High School in St Andrew who were barred from entering fifth form will have to wait until Monday to know the way forward.

This comes after The Gleaner first reported that grade 10 students who attained an average of less than 60 per cent would not be allowed to enter grade 11. Education Minister Ruel Reid has since ordered that all the students who were expelled be reinstated. However, several parents have expressed concerns that their children are yet to be readmitted to school.

Reid told The Gleaner yesterday, though, that an individualised plan would have to be worked out for each student to see what works best.

INTERVENTION PLAN

"We expect, as of Monday, to begin meeting for a diagnosis of each student to establish an individualised intervention plan. We ask all to be patient as we work in the best interest of these students," he said.

"They (students) may well have to do alternative programmes to CSEC (Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate) like City and Guilds or CAP (Career Advancement Programme) as part of our kindergarten to grade 13 strategy of an inclusive programme for all, no child left behind."

The parent who first spoke with The Gleaner said that she was still waiting for some confirmation that would indicate the next steps for her son.

"I checked with them earlier this week, and they said they are still having discussions. I heard the minister on the radio saying that the students should be reinstated, and based on that, I made contact with the school. My plan is to make contact with the school again by Monday (of next week)," she told The Gleaner.

"He's still at home. I might have to start thinking of a plan B. I'm still waiting to hear something concrete that this is the way forward."

jodi-ann.gilpin@gleanerjm.com