Wed | Feb 19, 2020

Police, INDECOM probe disappearance of taxi operator last seen with cop

Published:Thursday | October 11, 2018 | 12:00 AMLivern Barrett/Senior Gleaner Writer

A "high priority" probe is now under way into the disappearance of a Portland man whose female companion has reportedly told investigators that he was last seen two weeks ago in the company of a police constable.

Jeffrey Campbell, a 26-year-old taxi operator, was reported missing a day after he sent his female companion two ominous voice notes through social media, law-enforcement sources revealed.

"Me a go send you a contact, zeen. Me an him a go somewhere later inna the night, but guess what me no really trust no shadow after dark, you see it. A sup'n we a deal wid, sup'n very serious. So me a go send the contact to you. If you nuh see me come back, if you nuh hear from me, you know who and me go somewhere," said one of the voice notes obtained by The Gleaner.

"A (name withheld) him name, you hear. Him a police [and] him work a Port Antonio [Police] Station," the other message said.

Campbell did not reveal his location.

Hamish Campbell, assistant commissioner of the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM), confirmed that the oversight body is collaborating with the police to probe Campbell's disappearance.

Already, he said, the taxi operator's female companion has given a statement, but he declined to comment further. "The police are giving it high priority," he said.




Hamish Campbell confirmed, too, that a body, believed to be that of Jeffrey Campbell, was found but has not been formally identified.

He indicated that investigators would use DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) to identify the body and said that a post-mortem would be conducted to determine how the person died.

According to law-enforcement sources, the decomposed body was fished from the Rio Cobre in St Catherine on September 30 with injuries to the face.

Hamish Campbell said that the police constable remains on active duty.