Wed | Sep 30, 2020

'Chucky' Brown trial resumes next Tuesday

Published:Thursday | October 11, 2018 | 12:00 AMNickoy Wilson/Gleaner Writer

The trial for murder-accused Collis 'Chucky' Brown will resume next Tuesday, ending days of intense interrogation of Assistant Commissioner of the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) Hamish Campbell.

Yesterday, Campbell denied suggestions by attorney Norman Godfrey that Brown was offered security for his wife and son in exchange for information.

"There is no possibility of my being able to offer such a promise to anyone. It was not in my capacity to do so," Campbell testified.

Godfrey also suggested that Campbell was anxious to prove himself, having joined INDECOM just over a month before Brown made contact with the oversight body.

In response, Campbell said that he had nothing to prove, asserting that he had been recruited to ensure that investigations were properly and professionally carried out.

Campbell was testifying in the trial for Brown at the Home Circuit Court in downtown Kingston yesterday.

The prosecution also called investigator at INDECOM Neville Edwards to the stand.

He testified that he was present at the meeting held with Brown at the INDECOM head office on August 10, 2013.

Responding to the prosecution's questions, he said that Brown had not been treated unfairly, neither had he been made any offer of amnesty while at the meeting.

He also refuted the claim by Godfrey that there was disregard for his client's health when he was said to have complained about a migraine while giving his statement.

Brown, who has been in custody since 2014, has been indicted on five charges stemming from the January 10, 2009, murder of Robert 'Gutty' Dawkins and the December 13, 2012, murders of Dwayne Douglas and Andrew Fearon.

He is also facing a charge of wounding with intent and one charge of conspiracy to commit murder.

The investigator who used a covert recording device to capture the meeting with Brown on August 6, 2013, is expected to take the stand when the trial resumes next Tuesday.