Tue | May 21, 2019

‘I just want to hold him’ - Family set to reunite with abducted baby today

Published:Friday | February 8, 2019 | 10:03 AMAndre Williams/Staff Reporter
Sinclair Hutton takes a phone call as his partner, Suzett, and son, Rudean, prepare to leave the Denham Town Police Station after news broke that their abducted baby had been found.

Amid relief and jubilation that her baby is alive and safe, Suzett Whyte is likely to have had a sleepless night on Thursday, eager to cuddle her son, one month after he was abducted from the Victoria Jubilee maternity hospital in Kingston.

“A di baby mi want to see now. I can’t talk right now,” 41-year-old Whyte, who only spent roughly nine hours with Sae’breon after he was born, told The Gleaner yesterday. “After I get the baby, I will talk. I just want to hold him and then afterwards I can talk.”

The baby was abducted from Victoria Jubilee on January 9. The saga took a twist on Wednesday after an unidentified woman, believed to be in her 20s, turned up at the Registrar General’s Department (RGD) office in Twickenham Park with fictitious documents to register the child’s birth.

Hutton, who is yet to set eyes on his son, was ecstatic at the news yesterday that DNA samples proved that the baby in the custody of the Child Protection and Family Services Agency (CPFSA) was indeed theirs.

“One month feels like a million years. Mi lucky mi get back mi son because if she (the woman in custody) did put on that name, that would be the end of this,” the father said.

“When I heard the DNA matched, I started to scream. I just want to thank all the persons at RGD for looking out for that lady. They did a good job. They were alert to pick her out because she had information that nobody thought she had,” Hutton told The Gleaner.

Hutton said he hopes the suspected baby snatcher will feel the long arm of the law.

“That person, the law will deal with her based on evidence they have,” said the 46-year-old. “She has her fair share coming.”

Rudean Hutton, seven, said he is keen to have fun with his baby brother.

“I am happy that my brother is found, and I can’t wait to see him and play with him,” said Rudean.

Sinclair Hutton’s mother, Darnel Thomas, was full of praise for all who contributed to the manhunt for the abductor.

“Is my son and him never see the baby yet,” she told The Gleaner. “I haven’t seen him yet, but I am glad they found him. I’m glad for the media and the Denham Town police. Big dem up every time! I thank, also, the churches who prayed.”

The CPFSA is scheduled to reunite the family with young Sae’breon later today. The month-old baby has reportedly undergone a medical and is said to be in good health.

The abductor is to face an identification parade as investigators continue their probe into whether it was a random abduction or part of a child-stealing ring.

“We want to look broader if there is a possible baby-stealing ring in Jamaica. This thing really opened a can of worms,” head of the Western Kingston police, Superintendent Howard Chambers, told The Gleaner yesterday afternoon. “We are going to collect more statements.”

andre.williams@gleanerjm.com