Sat | Mar 28, 2020

Trinidad and Tobago reports its first COVID death as elderly male passes

Published:Thursday | March 26, 2020 | 1:15 AM
Health Minister Terrance Deyalsingh said the deceased is an elderly male who had pre-existing medical conditions.

Trinidad and Tobago has reported its first death as a result of the coronavirus.

This makes three the number of fatalities in the Caribbean as result of COVID-19.

One death has also been reported in Guyana and another in Jamaica.

As in the case of Guyana and Jamaica, Trinidad has said its deceased patient had underlying medical issues.

"While this is a sad moment for all of us, we can only imagine how difficult this must be for the family," said Health Minister Terrance Deyalsingh, revealing the deceased is an elderly male.

He has also urged respect for patient confidentiality and for the family's right to privacy at this time.

"Please allow them to mourn in peace,” Deyalsingh said.

So far, Trinidad and Tobago has reported 60 cases of COVID-19.

Meanwhile, the Health Minister has urged Trinidadians to diligently adhere to all the public health recommendations relating to personal hygiene, social distancing and sanitisation.

“I assure you all that, together, we do have the power to overcome this health challenge,” he said.

Follow The Gleaner on Twitter and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.