Stick to ‘Sports Desk’ Orville
THE EDITOR, Sir:
For those of us who love sports, Orville Higgins commentary, '2014 The Year in Sports,' published Friday, January 2, 2015 was a complete letdown.
Even though 2014 was an "off year" for track-and-field championship events, there were some spectacular and record-breaking performances that he failed to mention in his piece ...
1. O'Dayne Richards winning gold in the Men's Shot Put at The Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland. It was Jamaica's first medal in a throwing event at these games.
2. Nick Ashmeade, Yohan Blake, Warren Weir, and Jermaine Brown 1:18.63 world-record relay run (4 x 200m) at the IAAF World Relays in The Bahamas.
3. Kaliese Spencer, the 400m hurdles champion at the Commonwealth & the IAAF Diamond Trophy winner, who won seven 2014 Diamond League races.
4. Hansle Parchment, the 110m hurdles win in 12.94s in Lausanne, the fastest time in the world in 2014.
4. Justin Gatlin, the American, who was unbeaten in the 100m all year and won the 200 metres in Brussels in 19.71 seconds, the second-fastest time in the world behind his own 19.68s.
He didn't even mention Jamaica's Female world record holder champion swimmer, Alia Atkinson. The column left me speechless.