Strange reversal on vet subsidy
THE EDITOR, Sir:
In light of an article published in The Sunday Gleaner of April 10, 2016 titled 'Sweet relief for vet students', I would like Minister of Education and Information Ruel Reid to answer the following questions:
1. When was the decision made to reinstate the 85 per cent subsidy, thus reversing a previous decision to discontinue the subsidy for new dental and veterinary students at The University of the West Indies' St Augustine campus for the academic year 2015-16?
2. Are these students bonded to work with the Government after the completion of their studies?
3. Why can't these students avail themselves of student loans like all other Jamaicans?
4. Are these students on government scholarships?
5. Was this decision made because of the relationship of any veterinary student and the managing director of a company owned by a junior minister in the present government?