Thu | Apr 19, 2018

Facts on St Andrew High shooting

Published:Friday | June 24, 2016 | 12:00 AM


By now, several persons have heard through the news media and the social networks various versions of an incident that took place at St Andrew High School for Girls on the night of June 21, 2016.

This serves to confirm that two attendees to the grade 13 farewell service (a male parent who works for a security firm and another male who is reported to be a teacher) were engaged in an altercation which led to the alleged teacher stabbing the parent, who, in turn, shot the teacher with his licensed firearm. For purposes of clarification, however, I would ask that you note the following:

1) The two men who were involved in the incident are not employed to

St Andrew High School. They were attendees to the farewell service.

2) The service ended at approximately 9 p.m. and the incident took place about 9:30 p.m.. By this time, the majority of the attendees had already left the campus. There was, therefore, no disruption to the farewell service.

3) The incident was immediately reported to the police, who responded within 15 minutes and conducted their investigations in a very efficient and professional manner.

4) The parent who was stabbed was taken to hospital by his relatives and the man who was shot in his foot was taken to hospital by the police. No one died.

5) On the morning following the incident, school was in session and all internal examinations scheduled for the day were conducted as usual.

I would like to assure the St Andrew High family that adequate security was in place and that additional steps have been taken to provide further security for the valedictory service on Thursday June 23, 2016.

It is unfortunate that there are many adults in our society who are unable to settle their differences without violence. It is even more unfortunate that a school environment could have been considered the place for such violent acts to occur.


Principal, St Andrew High