Sun | Jan 21, 2018

Chaos reigns at RGD

Published:Saturday | October 22, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Jamaicans in the United States are having a serious problem when requesting copies of their birth papers from the Registrar General's Department.

Apparently, when the information from the old original document was transferred to electronic format, a lot of information was omitted, like your father's name if your parents was not married at time of birth. Some folks were filed for by their father because this information was on their original document.

We would like to find out to whom we can address this problem, because we are being discriminated against as kids born to parents who were not married, and this document we received is not being accepted as a copy to the original one.

There is no letter attached as to why there is a change. We cannot help if our parents were not married at the time of birth, or the fact that the information, when entered at the time of registration, was not entered properly.

This birth paper has been used for years and years, yet now when we submit this altered copy, it does not match up with the original that the government agency in the US has on record. This is causing a major problem here.

Can you let us know who we can speak to about this disaster. A copy of an existing document should be a copy, not altered. You cannot alter originals, because that would be fraud.