Sun | May 27, 2018

NWC and rural water supply

Published:Thursday | September 28, 2017 | 12:00 AM


Frankly speaking, we the residents of rural Jamaica are tired and fed up of the service, or lack thereof, from the National Water Commission (NWC). I listen to the cries almost daily on the talk shows or on television when people demonstrate for water. I live in St. Elizabeth and we need water in our pipes; we are tired of buying water. Whenever we call NWC, complaining of the lack of water, all we can hear is, yes, they are aware of it and the situation is being looked into. This on and-off water situation has existed for years now and we are now very frustrated. I think NWC cannot manage the entire island of Jamaica, or just taking the Jamaican people for granted.

I recently heard about this company, Rural Water Supply Limited. I understand that they are also an agency of the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, which is the same ministry under which the NWC falls under. Both agencies, I understand, are under Minister Horace Chang's portfolio. This company has been around for many years and as the name suggest, they provide water to rural communities, albeit on a much smaller scale than NWC.

Therefore, I am calling on Minister Horace Chang to think about this company (Rural Water Supply Limited) or find a solution for how NWC manages rural Jamaica's water supply. If it is possible, let Rural Water Supply Limited be in charge of all rural water-supply systems and let NWC be accountable for the Kingston Metropolitan Area.

Leroy Brown