Tue | Nov 20, 2018

Medical school out of reach for most

Published:Tuesday | August 28, 2018 | 12:04 AM

THE EDITOR, Sir:

My cousin died from cancer a couple of years ago. Her only child saw what her mother was going through and vowed that she will become a doctor.

All throughout high school, she did very well and maintained honour-roll status until she left in June 2018. She and her friends were advised that they needed to work very hard to pass their CSEC and CAPE exams, with distinction in order to qualify for the Government's 80/20 subsidy, where the Government assisted with 80 per cent of the tuition while the student would provide the remaining 20 per cent.

And they did, getting all A profiles. They were on top of the world, because here comes UWI and the start to their medical career. Then they realised that the 80/20 subsidy policy was changed, and that they would have to find US$28,000 per year if they want to become a doctor.

That is out of reach for her, her friend and most Jamaican students who had their hearts and mind set on becoming a doctor.

What are they to do now, Minister Reid? What are you saying to youths aspiring to become doctors?

SHARON BENNETT

sharbennettx5@gmail.com