Solutions to the crime monster and tertiary education problem
THE EDITOR, Sir:
1. To deal with the crime monster:
Institute a compulsory programme of three to five years of training for all students leaving high school and not going on to college or gainfully employed.
- Not available for recruitments by gang leaders
- Will have a skill that can be used to get a job/be self employed/get overseas employment
- Contribute to society positively by using skills during programme to do social work needed.
2. Will encourage parents/students to perform better in school to avoid this compulsory programme.
To address the tertiary education problem:
Students’ Loan Bureau needs other sources of income to do what it was conceptualised to achieve.
The suggested way to achieve this is as follows:
- Take a portion of the gas tax for this purpose (guaranteed income).
- Use loan repayments towards this.
- Develop an investment portfolio that will provide present/future income.
- Excess funds available over time can be used to fund crime monster programme.