Democratic socialism is dead
THE EDITOR, Sir:
In response to Gordon Robinson’s article ‘We don’t need another capitalist party’ in The Sunday Gleaner dated September 15, 2019, please remind our learned friend of the following facts:
1. Democratic socialism/communism is a miserable failure globally.
2. Because of the central and command nature of the system, it kills human creativity and the innovative spirit of the people.
3. Consequently, all socialist countries have low growth and are non-productive.
4. Cuba, Russia, and China are all miserable failures.
5. China is communist but practises capitalism to produce its stupendous growth and returns very little to the people. Cheap labour!
6. If the People’s National Party wants to lose the next election, tell them to promote democratic socialism. My prediction would be a landslide for the Jamaica Labour Party.
7. The world prefers a free-market system.