Fri | Sep 21, 2018

Am I overprotective of my 17-y-o?

Published:Tuesday | December 23, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Orlean Brown-Earle

Q: My 17-year-old daughter has several physical illnesses, among them epilepsy, and insists that she wants to go to college out of the parish. I am fearful that she might be hurt and I will be too far away. Am I worrying too much?

A: Your daughter has to grow up and manage herself and resources wisely. Once she follows her diet and medication regimen she will be fine. You may ask her to start with a lower number of credits to see how well she copes. I am sure she will be successful.

Q: Our son who is 19 has just been diagnosed with HIV. His girlfriend was positive and she did not share this information. Now, she says she was raped years ago. How do I stop them from seeing each other?

A: Your son is an adult who has to make his own choices. Support him as he takes his medication and encourage him to follow a healthy diet. You may guide them both to counselling.

Q: My former husband has taken our three sons for the holidays only for me to hear that they are now in Miami. Can I call the authorities there and have them sent back? They are not United States citizens.

A: Try and contact your husband before you do anything you may regret. If he shares that he is not taking the boys back, see a lawyer, and consider the next step you will take.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!