Thu | Jan 17, 2019

'My mother is a pain'

Published:Tuesday | April 14, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q My mother is a pain. She is studying for her graduate degree and I for my undergraduate at the same institution. She is giving the lecturers hell, and I am trying to hide from her when she arrives for classes in the holiday sessions. I am 17 and this is my second year. Would transferring to another college make my mother feel bad?

A You need to speak with your mother and let her know how you feel about her behaviour. If you have a family member who she listens to, ask that person to be present when you are speaking with her.

Stop my

party-girl sister

QMy sister is 17 and parties like there is no tomorrow. We are at community college together and she still goes to high school fÍtes and parties. I think that is so immature. Can I ask my mother to make her stop? We board away from home. I am 19.

A Please share with your sister your concerns about her behaviour. If she does not agree with your guidance, then you may need to get your parents(s) involved.

Scared of losing

my other child, too

QMy 15-year-old son died of a cancer-related illness last year. I spent a lot to care for him. My 16-year-old finishes high school and wants to go out of parish to study. I am afraid of losing him, too. Am I normal?

A You are quite normal; however, life must go on and you will have to allow your son to have a life. I think you may need some counselling to help you cope with your loss. Please seek the services of a psychologist or counsellor who will help you.

n Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!