Sun | Aug 19, 2018

Ask the Doc: Daddy too 'girly girly'

Published:Tuesday | May 12, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q: My parents have decided that they will be working in two separate parishes. My father will be the head of an educational institution and my mother a leader at a government office. I notice that dad is 'girly-girly'. Would it be right for me to talk with him about that? I am 17.

A: You have all right to share your concerns with your father. Let him know that you are not planning his life, but that you are concerned for your mother and what may happen to the family.


Q: My father took home a young child last month and asked my mother if he could stay with us until his mother came back from overseas. Mother said no. My friends on the school bus heard about it and told me that the child was my brother. Should I tell Mommy?

A:You can share what you heard with your mother, especially if it worries you. I think your mother may be aware of the situation.


Q: My mother has taken up walking and now we get none of her time in the evenings. My sisters and I may be in our teens, but it is ridiculous that we do not see our mother from 7:30 in the morning until seven at night. It is work and walking for her. Can I tell her that we miss her?

A: Please share with your mother your concerns. She may want to reconsider her walking schedule and also get yourself and your sisters walking as a family with her.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!