Tue | Aug 21, 2018

'My daughter no longer wants to to be home schooled'

Published:Wednesday | May 20, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q: My daughter has decided, at 10 years old, she no longer wants to be home-schooled. My mom was ill and I placed her in summer school at a local school last summer. She has been sad since, but I am concerned about public schools and the health and safety risks. How can I convince her?

A: Your daughter has had a positive experience and wants to continue it. Maybe you can work something out with the school for her to attend certain class sessions throughout the academic year. Or you can simply share your fears with her.

Where in Jamaica can I get help for my son who is having learning problems? He remembers things for a week, and then it is gone.

A: You can make an appointment with a psychologist, who will be able to assess your son and make recommendations. Your family doctor should be able to recommend a psychologist.

My son fights daily at school. He has a learning problem and the children call him 'dunce'. How can I help him?

A: You should ask the teacher to speak with the class on his behalf . She or he can share ways in which the students can be kind to your son.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to editor@gleanerjm.com or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!