Sun | Apr 18, 2021

Orlean Brown-Earle: 'Mom needs counselling'

Published:Monday | November 9, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q: My mother and father are getting a divorce. She works overseas as a counsellor. I think she should be in counselling as she seems very sad these days. Is it OK for me to say this to her?

A: You are a very caring child. It is quite appropriate for you to recommend counselling to your mother. I am sure she will be happy to know that you are so concerned about her emotional welfare.

Q: My 21-year-old daughter has finished college and will not move out. She got a great job in the information technology field, earning almost as much as I am, and, after three months, is still at home commuting two hours a day. She is a responsible person and can afford to rent. I am ready for an empty house. I am tired of getting up in the nights and letting her in and being expected to converse.

A: Get a copy of apartments in the vicinity of your daughter's workplace and show them to her. Go with her and visit the places so that you too will be comfortable with the place she chooses. Pray with her, keep in touch regularly and wish her well.

Q: One of the workers at my father's office is horrible. He backbites everyone. One day while waiting for my father, I recorded the worker saying terrible things about my father's boss, which may cause the man to lose his job. Should I share this with my father?

A: You may want your father to listen to the recording. Remember, always be respectful at your father's workplace.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to 'Ask the Doc', c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!