Mon | Jun 24, 2019

Doctor's Advice: Could she be pregnant?

Published:Saturday | December 26, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q: Doc, I am a male teenager, and I was a virgin until I went to a party two weeks ago. I met a beautiful American girl there. Although I did not know it at the time, she was actually five years older than me. She must have thought that I was about the same age as her because I have always looked mature for my years.

Well, we started kissing while we were dancing. And then we went off to a quiet room, and did a lot more kissing and cuddling and fooling around. Eventually, we lay down on a bed and to my amazement she took off her pants and said to me 'Go ahead, honey.'

I did not really know what to do, but after a couple of 'false starts,' I actually did manage to get my organ inside her. I thought it was wonderful.

But a few minutes later, there was a lot of banging on the door because her sister wanted to know where she was. So she made me pull out. This was frustrating, but at least I felt that I had lost my virginity - at last!

The result was that I did not climax at all. We put on our clothes, and went back to the party. And next day, she and her sister returned to Los Angeles.

But now I am fretting, in case I have got her pregnant. What do you think, Doc? Is that possible?

A: Well, it is possible. But on the basis of the information you have given me, the probability is that you have not got her pregnant. If by any chance you have done so, then probably you will be getting an urgent communication from L.A!

I do not know exactly how old you are. But in the future, whenever time you have any physical contact with a girl, please take more care. It is real easy to cause a pregnancy. And it is also easy to catch a sexually-transmitted infection.


Q: I am 18, Doc, and I have had no menses for the last three months. What must I do? And what could be the cause of this?

A: First thing to consider in a young woman with no menses is whether she is pregnant or not.

So, if by chance you had sex around three to four months ago, then you really should do a pregnancy test right away.

There are many other reasons why a teenager might suddenly stop having periods. The common ones are:

- Anaemia (weak blood);

- Excessive physical training for sports;

- Emotional upset or stress;

n Low body weight, associated with an eating disorder;

- Use of drugs;

- After-effects of the Shot (the Jab).

Once you have ruled out pregnancy - by doing a test - the next thing you should do is go to a doctor. She will check you over, and then give you treatment to help restore your menstrual cycle.

Q: My wife and I have been married for five years. But we have no child yet.

She does not have very regular menses, but she had a check-up from a doctor, who reported that all was well.

When we keep sexual relations, I am only able to produce two-three drops of sperm. Is it possible that this small amount of two to three drops of fluid could make a woman pregnant?

A: Yes, it is possible for even one drop of seminal fluid to cause a pregnancy. However, it is unusual for a guy to produce so little.

Therefore, I think it would be a good idea if you had a 'sperm count' test. Please see the Doc, and ask him to arrange this. It will be necessary for you to get a fresh specimen of your 'man fluid' to the lab for examination to the lab for examination under the microscope. I wish you both well.


Q: I am female, age 19, and I seem to have a little clear liquid coming out of my vagina almost every day of the month. I have no other symptoms.

Is there something wrong with me, Doc? Note: I do not have to wear a pad.

A: Many young women don't realise that it is normal to have just a little fluid coming from the vagina. Some of the time it is clear, but if you look carefully you can see that there are days when it is slightly 'cloudy.'

But all this is perfectly OK. The vagina is supposed to be a moist part of the body - so moisture is a sign of health.

The only times when this fluid should give cause for fretting are as follows:

- If it is brown or blood-stained;

- If it is thick and white, and associated with itching;

- If it is yellow or green, and associated with soreness.

If any of those things happen, you must consult a doctor.


Q: I am female, 19. Doc, I'm deeply ashamed to say that a man persuaded me to have rectal intercourse last month. I don't know why I gave in, but he had bought me a lot to drink, and that seemed to make me rather unwise.

What is now making me fret is this. Could what he did have given me AIDS?

A: Rectal (anal) intercourse is the most 'efficient' way of transmitting HIV - which is the virus that causes AIDS.

Nevertheless, if this guy didn't have HIV, then obviously he couldn't possibly have given it to you.

Therefore, I do not think that you have any need to fret.

However, if you have any 'bottom symptoms' (like soreness or an anal discharge), you should get yourself a check-up from a doctor or clinic.


Q:  Doc, this is a deeply embarrassing confession. Since my boyfriend left me last April, I have fallen into the habit of masturbating the area of my clitoris. For this purpose, I use an electric toothbrush.

I know that this is not wise, but I do get so badly frustrated. Can you tell me: is my use of a toothbrush unhealthy? Could it have done me any harm?

A Women who have been 'dumped' do often get pretty frustrated. That is particularly likely if the 'lost' relationship was a sexually satisfying one.

Now, there is nothing medically wrong with masturbation to relieve your tensions. But you most definitely should not use an electric toothbrush for this purpose. The bristles are far too hard, sharp and unyielding, and they should not be applied to delicate female tissues.

Indeed, there have been occasional reports in the medical literature of ladies damaging the areas of the clitoris and labia through using an electric brush. So you see, you are not the first woman who has tried this. Far from it: there are many references to this practice on the Internet.

Please: throw your electric toothbrush away now. If you need a device to relieve your frustration, get one that is designed for the purpose. You can easily buy a safe and hygienic vibrator via the Internet.


Q: I am male, 17 and seem to be developing little breasts. Am I changing into a woman, Doc?

A: Wildly unlikely. A lot of teenage boys develop a little fat behind the nipple. Just ask a doc to have a quick look at your chest. But I am sure all will be well.

- Email questions to Doc at and read more in the Outlook Magazine tomorrow.