Wed | Jun 19, 2019

Ask the doc: 'My son wants to change his name'

Published:Tuesday | February 9, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Q: My 15-year-old son has decided that he wants to change his name to his biological father's name. His father did not take care of him. How do I deal with this?

A: Be frank with your son about your concerns. Be honest with the information you share. Speak with his father, and see if he is in agreement with this. You can check with the Registrar General's Department regarding the costing and other issues that may be involved.


Q: I am challenged by the fact that my 17-year-old son is now sporting a 'man purse'. He says it is not gay, just style. I am worried.

A: Be honest with your son, and share with him the importance of image. Have him understand that his dress code will determine people's attitude towards him.


Q: My 17-year-old daughter wants to go to a small Christian institution that has different beliefs from our church group. She simply wants to do a six-week certificate course. Is it OK to send her?

A: Your daughter is at a stage where she can make choices. Speak with the facilitators at the institution, and if you are comfortable that they are not planning to influence your daughter to convert, make your choice.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to 'Ask the Doc', c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!