5 morning habits you should start now!
Mornings are the most important part of the day as it predicts how the rest of your day will go. Your mornings are precious and should be used wisely.
According to Catherine Beard of the theblissfulmind.com, all it takes is a few minutes in the morning to incorporate some simple, healthy habits that will guarantee your prepared for whatever life throws at you.
1. Drink 10 gulps of water- “Usually when I wake my mouth feels like an Arabian Desert, yet for some reason I pick up my phone and scroll through my notifications rather than hydrating myself,” Beard shares. She encourages that instead of torturing yourself, drink 10 gulps of water before you do anything else in the morning. Why 10? Because it’s less pressure than drinking a whole glass, but more hydrating than only taking one sip like you’re probably used to.
2. Do a quick workout- You knew this one was coming. But it’s how most successful people start their mornings. Don’t be hard on yourself if you can’t make it to the gym — 10 minutes of exercise is all it takes to have you feeling energised, healthier, and accomplished. Seriously, don’t you want to feel like you accomplished something before the day’s even begun?
3. Visualise your perfect day- Close your eyes, and imagine what your day would look like if you accomplished everything you set out to do. Think about what you could do to make your day as productive, healthy, and enjoyable as possible. This can seriously help get you motivated for the day!
4. Eat a good breakfast- Start your mornings with a delicious and nutritious breakfast. You want something that has enough protein to hold you over until lunch time — like oatmeal, yoghurt with fruits, toast with almond butter and a banana, or a smoothie with protein powder. Beard’s absolute favourite breakfast is a whole wheat tortilla with avocado, arugula, and tomato drizzled with some olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.
5. Stay away from your phone- Beard notes that if she keeps her phone near her in the mornings, she is guaranteed to start watching youtube videos and lose all track of time. She advises that you should try leaving your phone on 'Do not disturb' mode until you’re out the door, or put it in your bag as soon as you wake up. That way, it’s out of sight and out of mind so it won’t interfere with your precious mornings. The same goes for all electronics — use your mornings as a time to look after yourself, free from distractions.