Anger management 101
You've had the longest days at work, only to "jump out of the frying pan into the fire", when you get home. You look forward to a relaxing weekend, but it is filled with chores and responsibilities. Of course, since misery loves company, the frustration of it all makes you snap at the wrong people, taking you from passive to aggressive in a millisecond. This is no way to live.
So, how do you release the anger fuelled by the stress of life? Here are a few ways you can manage irritation at its toughest:
1. Develop an effective relaxing routine. This may mean taking a longer shower than usual, or having a bath. Just take some time to spend on you, uninterrupted.
2. When in doubt, wine it out. It's true what they say, the best way to unwind after a hectic day can be with a glass of your favourite wine. Try it and see for yourself. But be careful not to overdo it!
3. Rekindle the romance. A night out on the town with your significant other, let’s say to a restaurant, might just be the medicine you need. And if you can’t leave home, well, nothing is wrong with role playing at home.
4. Spa day. Release the toxicity from your body, caused by stress, with a well-needed fully body massage, or a mani and pedi.
5. Increase family time. Eating dinner with the family, reading bedtime stories or watching a movie together or having a games night. The family that plays together stays together. And, playing sure takes your mind off the stress at work and helps to ease stress in the home.
6. Reconnect with friends. Dedicate some time to catching up with old and new friends over coffee or other drinks. You’d be surprised at how refreshing it is to talk things over with friends and get perspectives that never came to mind.
7. Revisit your hobbies. Yes, this is easier said than done, but if you always loved to read, then revisit that activity by picking up a book. Nothing is more relaxing than escaping your reality and living in the world of fantasy.