JUTC rejects SMARTER Card bungling claims
The Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) is defending itself against claims of bungling in the issuing of SMARTER Cards to concessionary passengers.
The JUTC’s switch to the cards for payment of concessionary fares took effect yesterday but has been marked by chaos, with long lines at distribution sites.
Faced with the prospect of more long lines and glitches, the JUTC informed that it will accept cash for concessionary fares up to Friday.
Students, the elderly and the disabled benefit from concessionary fares.
The Opposition Jamaica Labour Party has criticised the JUTC, accusing the bus company of incompetence in the handling of the SMARTER Card distribution.
However, managing director, Colin Campbell, says the JUTC cannot be blamed for the chaotic situation because the company has been urging the affected groups to collect their cards early.
He says 20,000 cards were issued last week and a further 15,000 are expected to be issued this week.
Campbell says the JUTC visited 225 schools in the Corporate Area to aid the process.
However, he notes that some parents were delinquent in collecting the cards.
Meanwhile, for this week the JUTC is appealing to adult passengers not to seek to get SMARTER Cards because it will be focusing on concession passengers.
The decision only affects the issuance of new cards and does not affect the topping of existing adult cards.
WATCH: The Gleaner Minute