Tue | Dec 6, 2016

Mario Deane's family refuses government's help to bury him

Published:Thursday | September 11, 2014 | 9:05 AM
Mario Deane. INSET: Mario Deane while he battled for his life at the Cornwall Regional Hospital. - Contributed photos

The family of Mario Deane, the 31 year old construction worker who died three days after a brutal beating at the Barnett Street lock-up in St James, have refused an offer by the government to pay for his funeral.



The family's attorney, Michael Lorne, says the offer was refused as the government has not accepted responsibility for Deane's death last month.

According to Lorne, it is a matter of principle.



He says the family has opened a bank account and is seeking contributions from the public to bury Deane.



Deane's funeral is scheduled to take place on September 21 at the Mount Salem Seventh-day Adventist Church in St James followed by the burial at the family plot in Hanover.



Lorne is encouraging members of the public to attend the funeral in solidarity with the family, as it presses to ensure that the events which led to the Deane's death are never repeated.



WATCH: The Gleaner Minute




Follow us on Twitter:



@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:



jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:



Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com