Wed | Jan 18, 2017

No claims filed to government by Deane's family, says Attorney General

Published:Monday | September 15, 2014 | 12:41 PM
Patrick Atkinson - File

Attorney General Patrick Atkinson is clarifying claims he made in the public last week regarding the Mario Deane case.



Last week, the family of the 31-year-old construction worker, refused an offer by the government to cover his funeral costs.



At the time, the family’s attorney said it was a matter of principle, as the government had not accepted any responsibility for Deane’s death.



The Attorney General responded saying that the government could never accept liability at this point during an investigation.



This despite the fact that Deane died three days after he was severely beaten at the Barnett Street Police Station in St James.



Speaking on Cliff Hughes Online this morning on Power 106, Atkinson said no claim had been filed by Deane’s family.



According to him the only information his office has received on the case has been through the press.



He says once a claim is filed by Deane’s family, the Attorney General’s office will make a decision about whether the government is in fact liable.



Meanwhile, the attorney representing Deane’s family, Michael Lorne is acknowledging that no claim has been filed.



Lorne says he’s waiting on autopsy reports from both the government and independent pathologists before proceeding with a claim.



Both are expected by the end of the week.



WATCH: JAMAICA NOW




Follow us on Twitter:



@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:



jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:



Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com