Sat | Dec 10, 2016

Government confirms 2017 deadline for 381 megawatt project

Published:Wednesday | September 17, 2014 | 1:47 PM

The Government says 2017 has been confirmed as the newest deadline for the construction of a major power plant expected to considerably cut electricity costs.



In his sectoral presentation to Parliament in May, Energy Minister, Phillip Paulwell stated that the Government was intent on meeting its 2016 timeline for delivery of the 381 megawatt power plant.



However, those plans were derailed after the company selected to build the plant, Energy World International, failed to get financial support.



Its licence was later revoked.



Finance Minister Dr Peter Phillips told a post-Cabinet press briefing this morning that the new date was confirmed after the committee controlling the project submitted its first report earlier this month.



He says the Cabinet has mandated the Electricity Sector Enterprise Team (ESET) to continue its work to meet the timelines.



ESET chairman, Dr Vin Lawrence is expected to convene a press conference at this hour to provide details on the Cabinet report.



That report is expected to address details such as overall strategy and as well as an action plan for the energy project.



WATCH: The Gleaner Minute




Follow us on Twitter:



@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:



jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:



Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com