Thu | Jun 27, 2019

Subpoena issued for arresting officer in hotel burglary case

Published:Saturday | September 20, 2014 | 12:00 AMChristopher Thomas


The Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Monday issued a subpoena for the arresting officer in the case against an accused hotel-room burglar, after the officer failed to provide a statement for the prosecution's case file.

Presiding Magistrate Carolyn Tie issued the subpoena for the officer who was said to be stationed at the Half-Way Tree Police Station in Kingston, when the case against Dimitri Ffrench was mentioned in court.

Twenty-six-year-old Ffrench, who is originally of a Molynes Road address in Kingston, was subsequently remanded in custody until September 23, when the officer is expected to be present before the court.

It is alleged that some time in June this year, Ffrench went on the grounds of the Secrets Resort property in Montego Bay and broke into a guest's hotel room where he stole several items including an iPod, §1,000 (J$152,653), US$500 (J$56,085.31), and items of jewellery. Ffrench was subsequently caught and the iPod and jewellery were recovered.

"In respect of Mr Ffrench, the police liaison officer says he has not been able to get the statement from the officer (the arresting officer)," clerk of the court Natalie Malcolm told RM Tie, when the case was mentioned on Monday.

The court was also told that there had been difficulty ascertaining Ffrench's correct address up to the time of his arrest.

But in making a bail application, Ffrench's attorney, Martyn Thomas, informed the court that the defendant lives at Molynes Road with relatives, and was arrested at that address.

"He (Ffrench) lives there with his mother, and the police went to that location to arrest him," said attorney Thomas. "He had a similar matter (housebreaking) before the court earlier this year that was disposed of. Outside of that, he has no previous convictions."

Tie subsequently ordered that a subpoena be issued for the arresting officer to be brought to court and ordered Ffrench to be remanded in custody until September 23.