Fri | Sep 22, 2017

UTech students protest new tuition payment plan

Published:Thursday | September 25, 2014 | 9:00 PM
University of Technology students protest a new tuition payment plan set up by the institution earlier today. - Photo taken from University Of Technology Students' Union Facebook page.

Chad Bryan, Gleaner Writer



KINGSTON, Jamaica:

Students of the University of Technology (UTech) located on Old Hope Road in St Andrew, staged a protest outside the school's gate this morning.




The students are upset because of a new tuition payment plan set up by the institution.



Under the plan, students are required to pay 80 per cent of the tuition fees upfront and the remaining 20 per cent by the end of September.



However, several students are having a difficulty meeting these terms.



According to UTech's Student’s Union, up to 30 per cent of the students have failed to register.



Advisor to the Student Union president, Oshane Hall, says the decision to protest was taken following a breakdown in negotiations with the university.



The students are appealing for more time to pay over their fees.



Special Assistant to UTech's President Lorraine Watson says a meeting was scheduled for this morning to address the students’ concerns.



She says the university is hoping normalcy will return to the campus soon.



WATCH: THE GLEANER MINUTE




Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com