Sat | May 27, 2017

Tivoli Enquiry secretariat invites potential witnesses to come forward

Published:Monday | October 13, 2014 | 10:08 AM

The secretariat of the West Kingston Commission of Enquiry is now inviting people wishing to give evidence at the hearing to come forward.



Last month, Justice Minister, Mark Golding, said that the commissioners for the enquiry are pushing for proceedings to start in December.



Yesterday, in a newspaper advertisement, the secretary to the enquiry, Maria Jones, outlined the requirements for persons wishing to give evidence.



Witnesses testifying at the enquiry are required to provide the secretary with written statements of their likely evidence and other relevant documents.



As a result, Jones says potential witnesses must first contact the secretariat which will make arrangements to the Commission’s Counsel to take the statements.



Meanwhile, the Commission says potential witnesses can retain their own lawyers to help in the preparation of witness statements and any subsequent appearance at the hearings of the enquiry.



Retired Court of Appeal Judge, Justice Hazel Harris, University of the West Indies Professor, Anthony Harriott and former Attorney General of Barbados Sir David Simmons will preside at the Commission.



Sir David will chair the enquiry.



The commissioners have been charged with, among other things, enquiring into whether the rights of persons were violated in the Tivoli incursion in May 2010.



More than 70 people died in the operation by the security forces to capture, then gangster, Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke.



WATCH: JAMAICA NOW




Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com