Wed | Dec 7, 2016

Nicholson says no invitation from T&T for immigration talks

Published:Thursday | October 16, 2014 | 8:39 AM
A.J. Nicholson - File

Foreign Affairs Minister A.J. Nicholson says he is yet to receive a formal invitation from Trinidad and Tobago for talks on immigration issues between that country and Jamaica.



The latest immigration row follows reports by 13 Jamaicans that they were badly treated by Trinidadian officials after they were denied entry to that country last month.



Nicholson says he has noted the suggestion through the media by Trinidad’s Minister of National Security, Gary Griffith, concerning dialogue.



However, Nicholson says this does not constitute a formal invitation for dialogue.



He says in any case, what is needed to move forward is an assurance that the immigration authorities at Piarco International Airport in Trinidad are abiding by the agreements reached between the Foreign Ministers of both countries.



He says these agreements include the parameters established by the ruling of the CCJ in the Shanique Myrie case, concerning both the landing of CARICOM nationals and how prospective returnees are treated.



It has been reported that Griffith has also extended the invitation to dialogue to the Opposition spokesman on foreign affairs and foreign trade, Edmund Bartlett.



Bartlett this week described Griffith’s statement regarding the deportation of 13 Jamaicans last month as hostile and disrespectful and meriting the strongest response from the Jamaican Government.



Griffith says his invitation is aimed at arriving at amicable resolution in the best interest of both countries and all their citizens at the earliest possible opportunity.



Last week, Griffith said there were an estimated 19,000 illegal Jamaicans in Trinidad and Tobago.



WATCH: THE GLEANER MINUTE




Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com