Wed | Jan 16, 2019

My son has no manners

Published:Tuesday | October 21, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Q My 19-year-old son is in college and after two years still cannot matriculate. He is terse in his manners and lies on the lecturers. How can I get him some help?

A: You need to schedule an appointment with the psychologists and counsellors at the college so that they can guide you regarding your son's academic skills. He may need a psycho-educational assessment and or career counselling to determine the next step forward.

Q My daughter is 12 and is still fixated on kindergarten-level cartoons. She is an average student and I think that her fixation causes her to not excel further. She yells when I turn the television off. How can I control her?

A: Please note that you are in control of your own home. If you say no television watching, you must mean no television. Guide your daughter to watch more intellectually stimulating television shows. Sit and watch them with her and encourage her to read more.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!