Sun | Dec 4, 2016

Mom of Canada suspect: I cry for victims, not son

Published:Friday | October 24, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Mom of Canada

suspect: I cry for

victims, not son

OTTAWA, Ontario (AP):

The mother of the man accused of killing a soldier at Ottawa’s war memorial then storming Parliament before being shot dead says she is crying for the victims of the shooting, not her son.

In a brief and tear-filled telephone interview with The Associated Press Thursday, Susan Bibeau said she did not know what to say to those hurt in the attack.

“Can you ever explain something like this?” she said. “We are sorry.”

Investigators offered little information about the gunman in Ottawa, identified as 32-year-old petty criminal Michael Zehaf-Bibeau.

Canadian police conceded Thursday that Zehaf-Bibeau was the lone gunman, the second attack in three days in what the prime minister described as terrorism.

Bibeau said she was devastated for the victims of the attack.

“If I’m crying it’s for the people,” she said, struggling to hold back tears. “Not for my son.”

Bideau and her husband had earlier sent the AP a lengthy email expressing horror and sadness at what happened.

“I am mad at my son,” the email said, explaining that he seemed lost “and did not fit in.”

“I his mother spoke with him last week over lunch, I had not seen him for over five years before that,” the email said. “So I have very little insight to offer.”

The heart of the capital city of Ottawa had been in lockdown after Wednesday’s attack, with fears that other gunmen might be on the loose. Ottawa police Constable Marc Soucy confirmed to The Associated Press Thursday that police are satisfied there was one attacker. Ottawa police Chief Charles Bordeleau told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. that “there is no longer a threat to public safety.”

The two attacks stunned Canadians and raised concerns their country was being targeted for reprisals for joining the U.S.-led air campaign against the extremist Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria.