Sun | Feb 23, 2020

My son wants to hike cross country

Published:Tuesday | November 4, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Q My son is 19 and has decided that he is going to hike cross country this Christmas. I am trying to convince him that it will be unsafe. He plans to keep in touch by phone. How can I convince him not to do this?

A: Talk with your son again and let him know that his safety is of the utmost importance to you. Invite a friend or relative who he will listen to and discuss the plans. Remember, he is an adult.

Q My 12-year-old son is reading everything in sight. I found dirty books under his bed. How can I stop this? His father thinks it is funny.

A: You must be clear about what is acceptable in your home. Talk with your husband about the seriousness of such literature and speak with your son as a team.

Q I need to send my 17-year-old son to college. He is repeating fifth form now and has a learning disability. Is there any university in Jamaica that will accommodate him?

A: Thank you for being supportive of your son. I recommend that you contact the admissions department of universities of your choice and ask what support services they have for individuals with learning disabilities.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!

Orlean Brown-Earle

ask the doc