Mon | May 22, 2017

Nigerian man was not mistreated at Mandeville hospital, says SRHA

Published:Saturday | November 8, 2014 | 11:43 AM
In this October file photo, Dr Bob Banjo displays his passport and a Ghanaian/Nigerian health certificate confirming that he did not have the Ebola virus when he left the region.

An investigation by the Southern Regional Health Authority (SRHA) has found that nurses and doctors at the Mandeville Regional Hospital, in Manchester, did not mistreat the Nigerian man who showed up there last month with what they thought were Ebola symptoms.



Dr Bob Banjo claimed that after telling a nurse he had visited Nigeria between July and August he was neglected for nearly nine hours and that some nurses flatly refused to treat him.



However, chairman of the SRHA, Michael Stewart says to the contrary, he wants to congratulate the medical staff at the hospital for the proactive and professional manner in which they handled the matter.



He says Dr Banjo was not sidelined or mistreated in any way and that he was treated fairly under the circumstances and that is the end of the matter as far as the region is concerned.



The SRHA chairman revealed that the probe got comprehensive reports from senior medical personnel and the reports indicated that Dr Banjo had provided medical personnel with misleading information and that caused some consternation among staff.



However, he says senior medical officer Everton McIntosh quickly took charge of the situation and Banjo was treated and released.



WATCH: It was bad ... Nigerian bashes Mandeville hospital after Ebola scare




Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com