Sun | Sep 23, 2018

Can we ban Halloween cartoons?

Published:Tuesday | November 11, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Q: I found it scary during the Halloween period with so many witch cartoons. Can we ban them in Jamaica?

A: We are living in a free country. What you will need to do is control what your children watch.

Q. Will the Grade Six Achievement Test office take a report of a child with learning disabilities and give the child accommodations?

Yes. In Jamaica, a child who has learning problems will be given special accommodations such as extended time or special seating. They must, however, provide a psychological report to the authorities by a particular time.

Q. My daughter is 16 and acts out of sorts at times. I have noticed this since September. She says all is well at school, but I am concerned. What do I do?

You need to take your child to a psychologist right away. Two months is a long time for a teenager to be acting strangely. Talk to the teachers at your school about your concern.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!