Government adamant NHT board did 'nothing wrong'
Information minister Senator Sandrea Falconer has explained that the Cabinet retained the board of the National Housing Trust (NHT) because it determined the members had done nothing wrong in purchasing the Outameni property in Trelawny.
Private sector and civil society groups had called for the sacking of the board saying the $180 million acquisition falls outside the mandate of the NHT.
However, Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller has refused to sack the members, instead appointing four new board directors to replace three who had resigned.
Speaking at a post-Cabinet press briefing this morning at Jamaica House, Senator Falconer said there had been extensive discussion on the matter during a meeting on Monday.
She said the Cabinet was presented with all the information on the purchase and the Cabinet is satisfied with the actions of the board.
However, that is as far as the information minister would go.
When pressed by journalists she said the Prime minister would address the matter further when she responds to questions in parliament next Tuesday.
Senator Falconer said she is encouraging civil society and private sector groups to sit with the management of the NHT before arriving on conclusions regarding the Outameni purchase.
WATCH: NHT board explains Outameni acquisition