Mon | Oct 22, 2018

PNP official Robinson speaks out on Outameni purchase

Published:Wednesday | November 26, 2014 | 12:36 PM
Julian Robinson - File

Jovan Johnson, Gleaner Writer



KINGSTON, Jamaica:

Junior Minister with responsibility for ICT, Julian Robinson, is the latest elected People’s National Party (PNP) official to speak out on the Outameni purchase, asserting that Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller should have been more upfront about the deal.




His comment on the controversial NHT purchase comes a day after PNP vice-president Angela Brown Burke and councillor for Papine Division Venehsa Phillips voiced their displeasure with how the matter has been handled.



Robinson said the Prime Minister should have been more upfront with information on the deal as he responded to questions posed by James Johnson (@shanevybz ) on Twitter last night.



Johnson asked the junior minister if Simpson Miller should have handled the issue differently, to which Robinson responded “yes upfront from day one would have avoided all of this”.



The Opposition has criticised the Prime Minister saying she has not been forthcoming with information and yesterday walked out of a parliamentary sitting after hearing that questions posed last week would not be answered.



Meanwhile, Robinson joined Brown-Burke and Phillips in criticising the NHT chairman Easton Douglas' public pronouncements, asserting that the communication with the public needed more humility.



"Comm[unication] was handled badly from start - needed more humility." He tweeted.



However, Robinson said Douglas should not resign even though he does not agree with the $180 million purchase of the Outameni property and tourist attraction.






The South Eastern St Andrew Member of Parliament revealed that he has voiced his concerns within the PNP.



Yesterday, Brown-Burke, who is also the Mayor of Kingston, said “I wished the NHT board had just shut up. We need people in public service who really care about the public, especially when the public hasn't caught your informed visionary approach to development”.



Also commenting on ‎Facebook, Councillor Phillips said the decision to retain the scandal-hit board and appoint new members was a slap in the face of Jamaicans.



The PNP has released a statement supporting the NHT board and the Cabinet in retaining the board.



WATCH: SPECIAL REPORT ... A trip to the Outameni Experience




Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com